08 August 2010

Goodbye, Goynes!

July 31, 2010, was my final work day at Goynes Elementary School as the Assistant Principal.  This has been such an unfortunate time in our district where so many people are being demoted.  I was dreading this day as much as the rest of the staff at Goynes.

I started the day off by packing up the final things I had in my office.  Many tears were shed as I read a beautiful letter that Jeff had written me.  In the letter he spoke so highly of me and how he wished our time working together could have been longer.  It is as if we were all dealt some lousy cards.  I get demoted and he ends up working with an assistant that he didn't get a voice in choosing.  Many people stopped by my office to say their goodbyes.  I heard a lot of commotion going on in Melanie's office so I asked if I could help and wondered what was going on.  They secretly had planned a luncheon for me of cheesesteaks sandwiches!

Jeff called a meeting for everyone to meet in the Art Room.  It was a chance for him to publicly say his goodbye to me in front of the staff.  I also spoke and tearfully explained to them how much I was going to miss them.

We got ready to head out to the Morning Muster ceremony that goes on every morning at Goynes.  Students come up to lead the Pledge of Allegiance and some morning announcements.  Well, I knew something was up today - something different than what happens on any normal day.  As I look out among the students, I noticed that they were all holding pieces of paper.  They soon began singing the song, You Raised Me Up, to me - all 1000 students!  It was amazing!  That song has very special meaning to me because it is the same song that was sung at my dad's funeral.  I closed the ceremony by telling the students how much I was going to miss them and I thanked them for 2 wonderful years together.

Jeff ended up cooking lunch for the entire staff.  They had even secretly invited Bill and the girls so I was shocked to hear him outside of my office at about 11:00.  I got many wonderful gifts, cards, and letters. It was a wonderful day which I will remember forever!

No comments: