
Tonight I made
Cabbage Pockets for dinner. It was one of our favorite things to eat when I was growing up. My mom learned how to make them from my Grandma on my dad's side. They are a little pillow of
YUMMMMM!

I made two pans of them this time so we'll have a few for leftovers. To make the whole process go a bit faster, we have always used frozen bread dough. I started by browning the ground beef and onions this morning. I added the shredded cabbage and continued to cook it until it was very wilted. Give it a good shake of salt and pepper and let it cool. I've made the mistake in the past of not letting it cool and it tends to 'melt' holes in the bread dough as you are wrapping them.
When the filling was cool, I rolled out the bread dough. I only made 6 pockets out of each loaf so I made them rather big this time. After letting them rise for an hour or two, I baked them in the over for about 20 minutes.
The girls LOVE them and I don't make them very often because they take quite a bit of time to make. Growing up we used to always eat them with drizzled honey on top. A little piece of heaven! Besides tasting yummy, there's always an extra loaf of bread dough and when there's extra bread dough . . . there's always a pan of caramel cinnamon rolls just waiting to be made! We are on a CARB high at our house!!
No comments:
Post a Comment